Chichester ArtsChichester Arts

Chichester Cathedral

Approx 0.1 miles from the centre of Chichester

The history of Chichester Cathedral begins in 681 when Saint Wilfrid brought Christianity to Sussex and established a Cathedral in Selsey, a small community south of Chichester.

After 1066 the Norman policy was that cathedrals should be moved from small communities to larger centres of population.  In 1075 the Council of London established the See of Chichester and in 1076 the building of the present cathedral in Chichester was begun under Bishop Stigand.  It was completed under Bishop Luffa in time for its dedication to the Holy Trinity in 1108.